Re: Payments and Trust

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reputation is one generator of trust.  If we can come with a common language
> we can make reputation more portable.
>
> That means if you do good in one community it can be more easily recognized
> in another.
> I think of trust and currency as different but overlapping problems.

I think of fiat currency as a codification of reputation, that starts
with the issuing authority. Of course that's reputation on a different
spectrum than the reputations that were under discussion, but by
allowing formal reputation currencies, what can happen? Of course
people can make friends and gain points then sell their points to
advertisers who would desire the reach that a good reputation can
provide --- so a reputation economy might have a bad reputation among
some purists.