Re: how to model a transfer

Michiel, as we go through the PaySwarm and Commerce vocabulary
definitions, keep in mind that they were written a while ago with the
intent that they would change when new uses for them came up.

You are providing new uses for the words, so I think we should start
considering how they should change... a first cut at this, below:

On 05/26/2012 03:51 AM, Michiel de Jong wrote:
> branched out from the other thread, i am running into a limitation
> of http://payswarm.com/vocabs/commerce#transfer in that it assumes
> that it's monetary funds that are being transferred.

Yes, it makes that assumption now, but I don't think it should be making
that assumption. It should probably assume some sort of commercial
transaction - which could include a trade, gift, monetary transfer,
physical goods transfer, service provision, etc.

> How do you expressed that assets were shipped and/or received?

We could do something like this:

{
   "@type": "http://purl.org/commerce#Transfer",
   "to": "http://example.com/people/manu",
   "from": "http://example.com/people/michiel",
   "asset": "http://example.com/people/michiel/assets/statue",
   "shipped": "2012-05-26"
   "received": "2012-05-28"
}

Note that assets are currently in the PaySwarm vocabulary, but could be
more generalized to the Commerce vocabulary:

http://payswarm.com/vocabs/payswarm#Asset

Again, we may need a distinction between a digital asset and a physical
asset.

> Both the shipment of the asset and the "shipment" of the monetary
> funds involved in a sale have to be prescribed by a contract, and
> unless stated otherwise, if it's in the passed then we assume both
> also actually took place. So i think funds transfer and asset
> transfer have a lot in common with each other, yet commerce#transfer
> seems to be restricted to the transfer of funds?

Like I said, we should probably change this to be more inclusive.

blog: PaySwarm Website for Developers Launched
http://digitalbazaar.com/2012/02/22/new-payswarm-alpha/