Re: draft data format for Opentabs

On 05/16/2012 10:52 AM, Pelle Braendgaard wrote:
> For pretty much the same reason that I'm against the JSON LD
> format's colon prefix notation I think Hungarian notation is a really
> bad idea.
>
> I'd like to strongly recommend against Hungarian notation. It is
> quite unreadable and I can't see any benefits at all from it. If
> possible it's even more confusing that JSON-LD's colon prefix
> notation.

Compact IRI notation is not a required part of JSON-LD - it's a feature
that you can either choose to use or ignore. You can even convert
documents that contain prefixes into non-prefixed notation using the
JSON-LD API. This is perfectly valid JSON-LD:

{
   "@context": "http://example.com/mycontext.jsonld",
   "name": "Pelle Braendgaard"
}

We had also made the decision to remove all colon-based properties and
use simpler terms like "account" and "amount" instead for PaySwarm.
We're in the middle of changing it over:

http://payswarm.com/minutes/2012-05-01/#topic-2

> Besides that I'd also still like to recommend the words "from" and
> "to" instead of "source" and "destination". I personally believe
> that if there are simple synonyms available they should be preferred
> over longer more complex terms. This goes for PaySwarm as well of
> course.

We had proposed that we could allow both (since you can easily alias
terms in JSON-LD). So, we could have 'from' /and/ 'source' as well as
'to' /and/ 'destination'.

We may also decide to drop source and destination entirely based on more
developer feedback on this particular issue. I do like from/to for it's
simplicity, but am concerned about it being mis-understood by since it's
a bit more vague than source/destination.

> Finally instead of Ower and Owee I suggest using the the proper
> English words Debtor and Creditor. I know these words can be loaded
> with other meanings, but still they are the correct terms.

+1

blog: PaySwarm Website for Developers Launched
http://digitalbazaar.com/2012/02/22/new-payswarm-alpha/