Re: Web Payments Telecon Minutes for 2012-01-13

bcc: opentransact
On 01/13/12 18:23, David Nicol wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012:
>> Pelle Braendgaard:  OpenTransact federated extension should be
>> done once people are doing it, as David has pointed out. David
>> Nicol: It's not just me, it's an IETF ground rule. Pelle
>> Braendgaard: Yup. Manu Sporny:  No, it isn't. It is not an IETF
>> ground rule. W3C doesn't operate like that, I don't think IETF does
>> either.
>
> 4.1.3 Internet Standard A specification */for which significant
> implementation and successful operational experience has been
> obtained/* may be elevated to the Internet Standard level. An
> Internet Standard (which may simply be referred to as a Standard) is
> characterized by a high degree of technical maturity and by a
> generally held belief that the specified protocol or service
> provides significant benefit to the Internet community.
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026#section-4.1.3>
>
> I was talking about standards-track RFCs, not any other track with a
>  lower bar.

Yes, as was I. Pelle had said that he doesn't believe that standardizing
payment decentralization right now should be done because you don't have
implementation experience for OpenTransact in a decentralized network.
My point was that you probably won't get implementation experience for
OpenTransact in a decentralized network unless you spec something that
people can implement.

Waiting for the decentralization solution to evolve out of the current
OpenTransact specification is not a good strategy. This is exactly why
we didn't wait for that to happen with PaySwarm... you have to propose
something for people to implement it in an interoperable fashion. That
is the type of "significant implementation and successful operation
experience" that the IETF is talking about.

Here is the entire transcript of the conversation you quoted, I make
these points (and more) in there as well:

http://payswarm.com/minutes/2012-01-13/#topic-7

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Web Payments - PaySwarm vs. OpenTransact Shootout
http://manu.sporny.org/2011/web-payments-comparison/