Re: PaySwarm demo software launched

On 02/22/2012 03:09 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Great news!

:)

> One question: what happened to WebID support? I was about to have a
> play but could see any slot for authenticating and generating my
> account using my WebID .

There are two forms of WebID that we looked at - the first was WebID for
login, the second was WebID for cross-site authentication.

We are not going to support the first, at least, not in the near future.
This is due to lack of good browser support - the UX is fairly terrible
across all the browsers.

Our company had proposed a non-native mechanism for browser-based
WebID[1], but the WebID community decided to not take that route. WebID
does not have any champions inside of the browser vendors. Additionally,
BrowserID has been proposed in its place with significant backing by
Mozilla[2].

Based on these developments, we don't believe that WebID will gain any
traction in the near future (and thus the usability problem will not be
fixed).

The second was using something like WebID for cross-site authentication,
and that's where the Web Keys[3] spec comes in. Note that the demo we
released has the concept of an identity:

https://dev.payswarm.com/i/manu

The URL above will list public payment accounts as well as public key
information in time (via RDFa and JSON-LD). So, the concepts that
survived from WebID include:

  * An IRI for an identity
  * Public keys listed at that identity
  * An IRI for each public key
  * A link from the public key back to the identity that owns it

This is enough to support a Web-based PKI scheme, which we will detail
more in the Web Keys specification, as time permits.

This information could be associated with a WebID, or it could be
associated with a BrowserID... we're going to stay agnostic on which
technology will end up being adopted into the browser in the end. Right
now, BrowserID has a much better UX story... and from what I read, it's
meant to be decentralized in time.

-- manu

[1] http://digitalbazaar.com/2010/08/07/webid/
[2] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/persona/about/
[3] http://payswarm.com/specs/ED/web-keys/2012-01-23/

blog: PaySwarm vs. OpenTransact Shootout
http://manu.sporny.org/2011/web-payments-comparison/