Re: Early Prototype -- Web App Market

On 29 August 2012 09:40, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>wrote:

> Excerpts from Melvin Carvalho's message of 2012-08-28 19:26:31 +0000:
> > Now that the RWW is starting to have social systems based on Web
> Standards
> > (REST, HTTP, Linked Data) I thought it would be a good idea to have a
> place
> > holder for apps that can be deployed to the Web.
> >
> > The three advantages of this are:
> >
> >    - Showcase some existing apps
> >    - Allow users to add more functionality to their social experience
> >    - Add payment technology so that authors can be incentivized more
> >
> > I've started an early prototype for these two which I'll be fleshing out
> > over time.
> >
> > http://webappmarket.org/
> > This is a non commercial open website, donated to the community.  It's
> > based on wordpress to show a portfolio of apps.  And also the payswarm
> > wordpress plugin as a proof of concept for payments.  Currently payments
> > are working with the dev payswarm authority.
> >
> > There are many app markets out there today,
> >
> >    - Ubuntu app market
> >    - IOS App market
> >    - Android app market
> >    - Microsoft app merkt
> >    - Facebook app center
> >    - OpenSocial
> >    - Twitter apps
> >    - app.net
> >    - Chrome app store
> >    - Mozilla app store
> >    - 5apps
> >
> > To name a few.  The hope is to make, via HTML5 and the Open Web Platform
> > growing ecosystem which will be the intersection of app markets.
> >
> > There should be no censorship, but spam and malware should be removed.
> >
> > If anyone wishes to add apps, become an administrator or help develop on
> > the system, please email me for a password.
> >
> > Next steps will be to start adding apps and work on the payments system.
> >
> > Feedback welcome!  I'll send out more updates as things improve!
>
> Hi Melvin,
>
> _all statements have implicit IMOs_ ;D
>
> Do you plan of taking path to *demand* expressing gratitude for an app
>  before someone can even use it?

Definitely not.  I read recently that 22 out of the top 25 apps are free to
download.

Most apps these days make money from in game purchases.

Many are free completely.  I just wanted to demo the *possibility* of
payments, using payswarm.

> I hope that I just don't get the concept, otherwise I would see it a huge
> move backwards inferior to even old school shareware approach.
>
> Could you please add more information on your current concept of
> *expressing gratitude* for apps to *About* page?

Will do, thanks for the feedback!

> Also I see it bit to early to talk about broader topic I refer to as
> *polyeconomy* [1], but for open source apps one can already also express
> gratitude by fixing bugs, polishing documentation, helping at Q/A forum of
> this app etc. I hope in such *app markets* we could also put emphasis on
> such collaborative culture and don't get stuck with sadly still quite
> popular in present times commerce.

Sure, that makes sense, which is part of the reason I thought the term
"market" was a good fit.

Perhaps this can be fleshed out with the payments CG, I think the app
store/market should focus on some quick wins, rather than, taking on too
much.

But it's definitely a good idea to build a flexible architecture.