United Nations position on Electronic Transactions and Identity Management

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 11:14:05 -0500
To: Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, Web Payments IG <public-webpayments-ig@w3.org>
Thanks to Rebecca Simmons for the heads-up on the recent United Nations
Commission on International Trade Law Report of Working Group IV
(Electronic Commerce)[1]. The session covered a few things related to
payments, Verifiable Claims, and the EU eIDAS initiative.

I didn't pay much attention to the payments side of the report, but
focused more on pages 15-17 of the report:

https://documents-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/V16/097/10/PDF/V1609710.pdf?OpenElement

Those pages are poignant to our work on Verifiable Claims. Specifically,
eIDAS Regulation keeps popping up as an important framework to pay
attention to. The shift toward a focus on multi-party identity systems,
and expanding legal capacity for people controlling objects that are
associated with IdM systems, is also good news for the Verifiable Claims
work.

-- manu

[1]http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/commission/working_groups/4Electronic_Commerce.html

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.