W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webpayments-ig@w3.org > February 2017

Digital offers / loyalty discussion in vision task force

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 15:09:55 -0600
Cc: Jeffrey Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>, Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>, Kenneth Mealey <Kenneth.Mealey@aexp.com>, Natasha Rooney <nrooney@gsma.com>, Ben Smith <Ben.Smith@aexp.com>, Amy Zirkle <azirkle@electran.org>, Bazin Pascal <Pascal.Bazin@gemalto.com>, David Ezell <David_E3@VERIFONE.com>, "刘大鹏(鹏成)" <max.ldp@alibaba-inc.com>, Web Payments IG <public-webpayments-ig@w3.org>, Maria Auday <maria@w3.org>
Message-Id: <2B2C36F6-5147-4CED-810B-5972BA11A797@w3.org>
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
[Adding the digital offers CG in bcc so that they are aware of the conversation happening in the IG’s vision task force; and because
 we are concurrently elaborating digital offers use cases in the CG]

> On Jan 31, 2017, at 9:23 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> 
> On 01/31/2017 03:44 PM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>> work with participants so that people understand what is expected
>> and can commit to delivering proposals at the 10 February call.
> 
> Here's a first-pass at a W3C-powered Digital Wallet scenario that
> attempts to tie together work W3C is doing in Web Payments, Verifiable
> Claims, and Digital Offers:
> 
> https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Vision2017#W3C-powered_Digital_Wallets

Hi Manu,

Thank you for writing up W3C-powered Digital Wallets [1] for
discussion in the vision task force. Was the list of questions useful?
I found the text meaty enough to prompt me to think about the problem
statements. I hope that through discussion we can zoom in a bit.  I
don't want to try to solve the problem here, but do want to get a
deeper understanding of it.

Thanks!

Ian

[1] https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/wiki/Vision2017#W3C-powered_Digital_Wallets

=========

- Under Problem, you wrote: "It is currently difficult for small
  business owners to set up and run individualized digital loyalty
  programs."

  I assume small business owners do not run these programs themselves.
  Insteada they get loyalty program service providers to do so. A
  quick search turns up names such as Aimia, Brierley+Partners,
  Connexions Loyalty, Epsilon, Kobie Marketing, Bond Brand Loyalty,
  Olson 1to1, and Tibco Loyalty Lab. Is your point that it is
  difficult for loyalty program service providers to set up and run
  programs? If so, what are the obstacles they face?

  If you do mean that small businesses would set up their own loyalty
  programs if it were easier, I'd like to learn more about the scope
  of that market demand.

- Under Problem, you wrote it is difficuilt to "integrate these
  digital loyalty programs into their payment systems." Could you
  provide a bit more detail about where the pain points are?
  Futher down you indicate that interop could help decouple
  loyalty platforms from payment platforms. I assume however from
  the integration point that they are already decoupled and the
  challenge is integrating them.

- Something that might be helpful here is a diagram or some other
  explanation of the flow, and where the loyalty programs fit in.
  I have a pretty good sense of the user experience improvement we
  might be able to achieve if we were to add a layer above
  payment request API for streamlined display and redemption of
  coupons during a transaction. But where else in the coupon
  flow do you see W3C adding value?

  There are some diagrams in the GSMA/GS1 document:

   Digital Commerce in Retail: Mass Distribution and Acceptance of Mobile Couponing
   http://www.gsma.com/digitalcommerce/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/GSM4384-Distribution-and-Acceptance-paper-LR-SINGLES-Minus.pdf

  Maybe we could take inspiration from those.

- Under Problem, you wrote "Extend digital offers directly with their
  customers in a way that is impactful and can be directly measured."
  Can you say more about metrics in use today, and why they are
  inadequate? Is some party (the merchant, the coupon issuer) not
  getting information that the coupon has been redeemed?


--
Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel: +1 718 260 9447
Received on Wednesday, 1 February 2017 21:10:23 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:08:57 UTC