Re: post competition and banking in a post psd2 world

I agree.

I would add this quotation from PSD 2 page 40 :

"When exclusively providing payment initiation services, the payment
initiation service provider does not at any stage of the payment
chain hold the user’s funds. *When a payment initiation service provider
intends to provide payment services in relation to which it**
**holds user funds, it should obtain full authorisation for those
services*."

Which means that it is possible (it is already the case today) for a
non-bank PSP to hold funds of its customers on what the PSD calls
"payment accounts" :

the conditions are:

- such accounts are dedicated to serve as support of payment
transactions (the funny thing is that our current accounts are precisely
used for that in a huge proportion)

- the amounts must be protected, and it can be done either by
transferring the funds everyday on a special account in a bank, or by an
insurance mechanism.

For that purpose, PSD2 creates an interesting new object called "account
servicing payment service provider":

it is "a payment service provider providing and maintaining a payment
account for a payer" (see Art 4 Definition)

So we could have entities proposing only that service.

Of course, all these new actors will count on "PSD2 API", which propose
access to accounts.

But the W3C API is also going to change the "who does what" landscape,
because the need to have "Acquirers" as we have today is likely to
disappear.

Regarding the banks, all this would mean that they go back to their real
job, which is to protect funds and to finance the economy.