Re: Drafty VCTF Use Cases

My comments / responses in line:

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 5:29 PM, Shane McCarron <shane@halindrome.com> wrote:
> >
> > (resending this - my new address is not yet on this mailing list. grr.)

Good one - thanks!

>  * Definition of holder: "An entity that is in control of a particular
> credential.” What is the definition of “control”?

I don't think having that defined is critical for this document.  Would you
prefer a word like "possession"?  We didn't like that because it implied
that the holder actually is "holding" whereas they might just be the entity
that has access to the claim.

>  * "Asako just passed the final test to receive a drivers license….” I
> don’t think this use case illustrates the value of the proposal. Drivers
> licenses work fine today. What is possible in the future
>     is lower distribution costs, easier updates (e.g., I move to a new
> address), easier replacement of “lost” licenses, easier to revoke, harder
> (perhaps) to fake, etc.
>     It seems that those should be the points here (in essence, the value
> of going digital).

I understand your point.  I may substitute in a different scenario here.
In general these scenarios are targeted at expressing benefit for the
individual (holder / subject), as opposed to the issuing organization.
Arguably that is something that should be addressed as well.

>  * All the use cases are deemed “Essential” and thus I suggest removing
> that label for all of them and saying that there are other use cases
> elsewhere.

Sure - that makes sense.

>  * "An entity, such as an end user (holder), wishes to make a claim and
> would like it to be endorsed by a different entity (issuer) which may then
> be trusted by a potential consumer (credential consumer).”  It seems this
> should say:
>
>     "An entity, would like an issuer to issue a claim.”
>
>    In other words, in this system, what matters is issued claims. So I
> don’t have any claims until they have been issued (by me or, more
> interestingly, by a third party.)

I attempted to massage it while still retaining the motivation that the
claim needs to be issued in such a way that it is verifiable and can be
trusted.

>  * "It MUST be possible for a credential consumer to verify credentials as
> genuine.” That seems unlikely to happen. Maybe instead you could say:
>     "It MUST be possible for a credential consumer to verify some
> cryptographic conditions of a credential.”

I disagree.  Of course it can happen.  To a very high level of confidence.

>  * "A consumer may require that a holder verify aspects of their
> suitability for a transaction. In this case, the holder must be able to
> select which, if any, Verifiable Claim stored with their Credential Curator
> is used to satisfy the consumer.”
>
>   It would seem preferable to express this use case without an assumption
> that there is a credential curator. Or maybe the answer is state in the
> definition of holder that the holder
>   has access to stored credentials (which may be managed by a curator) and
> then you don’t have to talk about curation any more; you just talk about
> holders.

Credential Curator is a defined term too.  It just means a place where
credentials live.

>  * "Anna has opened an account at her bank in Finland.” The scenario
> doesn’t obviously relate to the use case, which is about being able to
> select from among several.

Yeah - I tightened it up.

>  * "It MUST be possible for a consumer to verify that the credential is an
> authentic statement of an issuer's claims about the subject.”
>
>    How is this different from 4.1.2:
>
>    "It MUST be possible for a credential consumer to verify credentials as
> genuine.”

I am not sure it is.  The second version provides more detail.  I

>  * "June goes to her local beer and wine store to buy a bottle of wine.
> She submits her identity credential that lets the liquor store owner know
> that she is over 21 without having to reveal her actual date of birth, her
> address, or her state ID number.”
>
>   This seems very hard to guarantee generically. How do you plan to enable
> any claim to be transformed (and still verifiable) into a claim that aligns
> with what someone wants to know?

I don't think that is something that needs to be addressed in a use case
document.  We are stating requirements here.  Implementation is something
for future work, surely.  However, to answer your question, attributes of a
claim could be composable by having each attribute individually signed, for
example.  Of there could be combinations of attributes that are grouped and
signed as a collection.  There are a lot of ways to skin this particular
cat.

--
-Shane