Re: Inventor of the Web Creates Identity on Bitcoin Blockchain Sir Timothy Berners-Lee, an english computer scientist and the inventor of the World Wide Web has created his first Bitcoin blockchain ID on June 9

On Friday, June 10, 2016, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com> wrote:

> What this group is doing is defining a standard and the goal of this
> standard should be to allow users to pick any place to store their
> identity. Blockstack is an implementation. The goal should be many
> implementations and a protocol for interoperability between them.

I'd also note the Bitcoin blockchain in particular has pretty substantial
data volume requirements (i.e. Butcoin transactions) consisting of what is
effectively irrelevant information for an identity system.

The usual response I've heard to the argument regarding the high overhead
of layering systems like this on top of the Bitcoin blockchain is that some
trusted caching proxy should do the work of processing the blockchain,
extracting identities and answering requests for them on demand, but at
that point, such a system sounds an awful lot like something like CONIKS
with all of the irrelevant data of Bitcoin transactions.

I feel there's a much simpler approach possible here that doesn't require
coupling to Bitcoin, and I think it looks like CONIKS or CT.

--
Tony Arcieri