Re: Web payments messaging and APIs

On 10/03/2015 04:17 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> Just a short comment on proximity payments versus Web Payments:
>
> The bigger question is whether local payment protocols like EMV
> should reach the Web, or the opposite, Web payment schemes will
> eventually be used locally as well. Currently they are entirely
> different.

IIRC, passing EMV tokens via the Web Payments API was something that I
believe the group felt was in scope for Phase I. For example:

1. Merchant initiates a payment request, noting that they accept EMV
   tokenized payments.
2. The customer's digital wallet (either local app or cloud app)
   generates a valid EMV token for the payment.
3. The token is provided back to the merchant for processing.

The above flow is something that was considered in the payment flow in
the charter as well as the API being worked on in the Web Payments CG.

> It *seems* that it is only the initiation that must remain different
> and that part may not even belong to the payment protocol.

Payment initiation (how the payment request gets to the customer) isn't
the only thing that's different. The customer may be offline, or the
customer /and/ the merchant may be offline. How the payment request
acknowledgement gets back to the merchant is also important (is it
routed over the Internet, or is it routed locally?).

> If a Web scheme becomes successful, the migration to proximity will
> probably happen because current POS-protocols are dated and
> constrained by smart cards which have very limited UI, Processing,
> and Networking capabilities.

+1

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/