Re: Web payments messaging and APIs

On 10/01/2015 12:36 PM, Nick Shearer wrote:
> I haven’t had a lot of time to look over the spec, but I will say
> that discussion of having a web payments spec include NFC and
> offline proximity payments seems like something that drastically
> increases the scope of any work the WG has to do.

Yes, agreed. To be more clear:

* The proposal is to make the NFC Web Payments API a separate
  deliverable, after Phase I is complete (which gets the core messages
  right).
* Offline proximity payments is something we have to be aware of, but
  is clearly not in the Web Payments Phase I scope.

> There are many additional complications and factors involved for
> physical payments - I am not sure I agree with you when you suggest
> the messaging formats could remain the same and only the transport
> change, for example.

Yes, you're right. To be more clear:

The Web Payments messages carrying tokenized payment data (roughly
4KB-32KB in size *hand waving*) could probably be used across HTTP or a
BTLE connections as-is.

However, when it comes to NFC, URLs would most likely have to be
exchanged to bootstrap the payments process, which would then be handed
off to  a more capable device (like a mobile phone's browser). The Web
Payments message formats could be used to communicate via the more
capable device.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/