Re: Proposal for forward motion: Aligning with X9/ISO work in Payments

On 03/18/2015 09:33 AM, David Ezell wrote:
> In order to advance our cause (acceptance of a payment standard for
> the web) I'd like to propose the following plan:

+1 to the general plan you outline here. I think it would be a very
smart move for the group.

> 1) Review (and approve) ISO12812 - we can't exactly do this yet,
> since it is still out for vote and we can't see it in non-ISO-member
> space.  So this part of the proposal depends on our agreeing that
> it's going to work for us (TBD).

+1, we need to understand where and how we align with ISO 12812.

> 2) Review X9.119 pt. 2 - this standard is about "tokenization."  It
> is potentially about payment tokenization, but it includes >other
> uses for tokens as well.  This work is gaining wide traction.

+1. There are many tokenization specs in the works - I think we have to
demonstrate interoperability with X9.119p2 and EMVCo's tokenization
specs to be taken seriously.

> 3) Submit our resulting flows to ISO20022 "certification" (RNG) -
> Let's take the flows defined in our use cases/payment agent work and
> refine and submit them to become an "accredited ISO20022 framework."

+1, although I have no idea how difficult or involved this process is.
Being able to say "We're an accredited ISO20022 framework" (or anything
ISO20022 related) sends the message that we're playing well with others
and short-cuts many of the "but you seem to be competing w/ ..." arguments.

> This modest plan gives us a defined target, leading to a model that
> might be much more easily accepted in the payment community, since
> we will be ISO20022 "certified."
>
> There are literally dozens of ISO and X9 standards that might apply
> to corner cases of what we're doing, but I think a focused strategy
> that includes these three[1] standards listed above will help us
> reach our goal of producing credible recommendations for web
> payments in the near term.

Agreed. So the next question is what does attempting to become an
accredited ISO20022 framework look like? What are the steps involved,
timing, etc?

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.