From: Adler, Patrick [mailto:patrick.adler@chi.frb.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:34 PM
To: Ian Jacobs; Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL
Cc: Web Payments IG
Subject: Re: [use_cases] Web Payments Use Cases - Organized by Phases

Hi Katie,

+1  to the suggestion and the focus on highlighting interoperability in
the language.  While there is a fairly large push towards opening up
payments "platforms" by a number of players (large and small)  there is
still quite a long way to go in terms of providing connectivity in a
standard way between them and to those that use them.  To your point, this
is where a tremendous amount of benefit and opportunity lies in helping
people and companies using one platform or service to connect to others
using a different platform or service.  This is not to say that platforms
are bad, or that they need to be "leveled", simply that the unifying
connective tissue (ex. protocols/standards) is where some of the most good
can come.  Thanks again for suggesting!

Pat

On 3/10/15 1:05 PM, "Ian Jacobs" <ij@w3.org> wrote:

>> On Mar 10, 2015, at 12:36 PM, Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL
>><ryladog@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ian,
>>
>> Quick suggestion for the Introduction. While we all know that the Web
>>Platform strives to achieve interoperability (as opposed to
>>proprietary) technologies - I am not sure that many in the financial
>>services sector necessarily do - so I think we should include an
>>implication by adding
>>*interoperable* to one of these two sentences from the opening paragraph:
>>
>> 1. Since the Web is ubiquitous, strengthening support for
>>*interoperable* payments has the potential to create new opportunities
>>for businesses and customers.
>>
>> 2. Although we are seeing innovation in payment services, the lack of
>>*interoperable* Web standards makes it more difficult to adapt to new
>>payment approaches or integrate new payment providers.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
>The text you are referring to comes from the existing use cases
>document (I just pasted into my experiment). For the moment I donšt
>plan to fork the intro from the main document text. Manu, please
>consider Katie's comment as input to the main document.
>
>Meanwhile: +1 to your proposal.
>
>Ian
>
>--
>Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>      http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447

This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the