Re: Thanks to all and next steps

Hi Joseph,

As I suspected might happen there is a lot of debate from what now appears
to be a majority who are actually all in agreement.

You said: "the W3C WP IG should explicitly accept that there are existing
legitimate and useful global standards, principles and model laws in the
domains of money, payments and e-commerce that the WP WG really ought to
just accept as boundary conditions for its own work". I think that what
Nick, David Jackson and I have all been saying is exactly that.

The group intends to consider other standards in as much as we should not
have a Web standard that is obstructive to other domain specific standards
HOWEVER we don't want to prescribe that any other standard is a dependancy
of the Web standard.

In trying to produce a standard that meets this criteria we will produce a
Web standard that simply defines the interfaces in and out of the Web
context (usually via a browser API) and a message envelope for the
interactions at those interfaces that is capable of supporting any payment
scheme specific messaging.

If the process before and after this flow is defined by UBL or the scheme
that is ultimately used between the two parties defines a set of ISO20022
message formats for it's messaging then that is fine and the WG should
attempt to define the Web standard in such a way that as many of these
cases are possible.

My personal perspective:

As far as I can tell, there are no use cases in scope for v1 that suggest
an payment scheme using ISO20022 so perhaps following all of this there is
a job of work for someone familiar with the standard to identify one that
should be included. (And I would suggest that these fit within the scope of
what is already generally agreed today and not vastly exotic new cases like
securities exchanges or the like)

On the contrary, as I pointed out before, the VAST majority of payments via
the browser today use cards as their instrument and to my knowledge that
means they ultimately travel on the card networks which last I checked all
use ISO8583. That doesn't mean that to do payments in the browser you need
to be able to integrate into an ISO8583 network directly or that a Web
standard should be dependent on it either.

Payments online generally happen through payment intermediaries (banks or
gateways) who take responsibility for putting transactions that originate
on the Web into the financial networks that are required to process them. I
certainly see no change to this in the near future so if the world moves to
ISO20022 instead of ISO8583 for card then that is work for the gateways and
banks to do to change their back-end. A well designed Web standard would be
entirely unaffected by this change.

Again, my personal opinion: The Web is VERY unlikely to adopt ISO20022 as a
messaging standard for anything. It is far more likely to define a unified
interface between the Web context (where messages are passed around in JSON
and occasionally still XML) and an external context (such as that defined
by a payment scheme). If it is designed well, that interface will
accommodate all of the existing schemes (and the standards they have
adopted) and leave room for schemes we are yet to discover.

In all honesty, I think a great deal of what we are now debating over falls
in the scope of Web Settlement. That may sound like a recruiting effort but
I think it is true. The work of the PAWG in v1 is going to centre around
fixing the browser experience for a the B2C use cases predominantly (and
P2P hopefully). When we start talking about connecting payment networks and
a Web standard for direct movement of value between entities (which may
mean direct normative reference to ISO20022) then we are outside that
groups scope in my opinion.