Re: agenda+ Proposed changes to draft Web Payments Working Group Charter

> On Jul 31, 2015, at 13:07 , L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>
> On Friday 2015-07-31 14:15 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>>> On Jul 31, 2015, at 2:05 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>>> I think there are two ways to address that concern.  Either:
>>>
>>> (1) revert "is" to "focuses on" or similar, to make it clear that
>>> the statement is a general description that will be overridden by
>>> more specific statements elsewhere
>>>
>>> (2) make the statement of what "the scope of the charter is"
>>> complete, i.e., include everything else that's in the charter
>>
>> David, what would you think of the option where we delete this statement:
>>
>> "The scope of the charter is the interaction between payer user agent and payee Web application.”
>
> That's fine as well.

As long as the rest of the scope statement is inclusive, I’m fine with deletions too.  I have a general preference for scope statements to be clear; if there is a debate about whether something is in scope, it’s best if the scope statement says so, as generally scopes are read, as the joke says, German-style ("everything which is not allowed is forbidden”) [1]

Overall, I hope to have a charter which is clear and brings the least confusion to the work going ahead, that’s all.  None of these edits are intended to change what I understand as the intent.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_which_is_not_forbidden_is_allowed#National_traditions

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.