Re: WP WG Charter review (zach)

> On Jul 13, 2015, at 7:33 PM, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com> wrote:
>

> On 10 July 2015 at 13:34, Zach Koch <zkoch@google.com> wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I had an AI from the call on Monday to review the working group draft charter. Comments:
>
> Easier integration of new payment schemes by payment service providers, increasing merchant acceptance.
>
> I'm not sure I understand fully how this goal will be realized, especially given the planned deliverables. What is being proposed that would make it easier for, say, Stripe (payment service provider) to accept Bitcoin (new payment scheme)?
>

> This standard will make it easier for payer and payee to agree on a payment instrument and because the dicovery process is using machine readable messages (lists of instruments) the list can be very long. This means payment service providers like Stripe could add new supported instruments and merchants don't have to do anything (potentially).
>
> As a merchant, I simply integrate with Stripe and then every time they add a new instrument it automatically gets sent up in the payment initiation request.
>
> So, to some extent you are right. The integration by the service providers is not necessarily easier but the merchant experience and increased number of instruments merchants can accept is a big benefit.
>
> Happy to reword this, any suggestions?

This is a good question from Zach. Zach do you have any suggested wording? (I don’t have any yet.)

> Increased scope for digital wallet innovation by banks, retailers, mobile operators, card networks, and other wallet providers
>
> Same fundamental comment as above. How are we affecting the innovation that is possible by banks, retailers, etc given planned deliverables?
>
> Per my last mail, I think we are allowing a wallet vendors to be very innovative and find ways to add value to their wallet services as a differentiators from the competition. I expect all of these (banks, retailers, mobile operators, card networks) to want to be wallet vendors.

I read Zach’s comment this way: what are we doing (e.g., standardized hooks) that directly increases the means of innovation? I’m not sure that we are doing anything that has a direct impact. However, by lowering the cost of deployment we may increase the overall size of the wallet market, and competition will drive innovation.

If, on the other hand, we are creating standards that will directly foster innovation, we should say how.

I’ve changed the bullet to:

            card networks, and other providers, enabling innovation and differentiation based on value-added services based on location, mobile banking, marketing relationships, and so on.
        </li>"

Ian

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447