Re: The case for registration as a technical specification

David,

The trigger for the beginning of the process is the payment initiation
request from payee to payer. This request will contain the proposed terms
(price, currency etc) and the list of supported payment instruments.

The payer's wallet will do whatever it needs to do to guide the user
through the process of confirming the terms and selecting a payment
instrument. This is where wallets can innovate around the UX and support
for various instruments. Ultimately the payment initiation response is sent
back confirming the terms and letting  the payee know which payment
instrument the payer has selected to use.

No "payment" has been made yet but we've agreed on terms.

If the payer selected a payment instrument that is processed by the payee
(like a credit card) then the payee passes the message on to their payment
gateway or payment services provider. Let's assume it was a credit card,
then the credit card scheme would define the data that the payer wallet
must send in that message. It may be a token representing the card or an
encrypted card number or even a reference to an exchange of data that was
done out of band by the wallet service with some 3rd party (up to the
scheme to define and the wallet to support).

The next step is a final exchange of completion messages.

If the payment instrument is "payee initiated" (example: credit card) then
we assume that the payment gateway/service provider has processed the
payment and this will be the confirmation.

If the payment instrument is "payer initiated" (example: bitcoin) then the
completion request is the instruction to the payer to send the payment. The
completion response will be the confirmation from the payer that this is
done.

Is there still a part of this flow that's unclear or that you feel needs to
change?

Adrian