Re: comments on the charter

On 13 July 2015 at 14:23, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:

> RE: "Even in a system that requires a payment to be executed from the
> payment processor there needs to be an initial exchange between payer and
> payee to select instrument and confirm terms."
>
> Yes, that's done in the Invoice's specification of the terms of payment.

Yes, in our proposed flow the payment initiation request lists the terms
and supported instruments. In the response to this the payee has selected a
payment instrument to use and is confirming the terms.

> The Invoice then emits a message:

How does an invoice emit a message?
Firstly, we are not defining an invoice in our standard at all, simply two
request response message pairs for initiation and completion.
Second, an invoice is a document not a system so I'm not sure I understand
how it can "emit a message".

> * to the payer's depository (aka "wallet") in the case of a token-based
> architecture, which sends info to the payment system; or,

In the case of a token based system the payment initiation response from
the wallet includes the necessary info (token) for the payment system to
execute the payment.

> * to the payment system in the case of registry-based architecture, which
> settles amongst depositories.

In the case of a scheme where the payment is executed by the payer
(credit-push) this will be done by the wallet system upon receipt of the
payment completion request. Either the wallet system will be capable of
doing this directly (like a Bitcoin wallet) or it may call out to a 3rd
party service it uses for execution of payments in the specific scheme that
has been selected.