Re: Wallets

On 8 July 2015 at 06:47, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, Manu–
>
> I have to say that, as a newbie, the literalism of the wallet metaphor
> actually really clicked for me, when I read the charter.
>
> I've heard the term "digital wallet" before, and mentally parsed it as
> "digital credit card" (though I'm sure I was missing intended subtleties).
> When I read the charter, the skeumorphism made me realize that indeed it
> was more than just the credit card, but ID, receipts, loyalty cards, and
> maybe even task-based authorization credentials (similar to a driver's
> license).
>
> You make a good point that some of those things are out of scope of the
> current charter, and you're right that this will do more than what a "real
> wallet" does, but I see an initial working group charter as aspirational
> and contextualizing, not just a scope-setting exercise. I don't think it
> over-promises or misleads. If the WG completes its scoped deliverables in a
> timely way, that paves the way for it to tackle other aspects of the
> wallet, longer-term… or to liaise with other WGs chartered to do so.
> Setting the scope and hope will attract and guide others (not just the AC)
> to the WG, which is a pragmatic outcome.

+1 - my hope is that we produce a standard that addresses only the few
wallet functions that we consider in scope for today but leave the door
open for v2 of this standard to deal with the other wallet functions that
we know members of the group want to see in the long term like loyalty
programs, coupons and most importantly credentials.