Re: Verifiable Claims Task Force Summary of Concerns

On 12/02/2015 02:00 PM, David Singer wrote:
> It’s a shortcoming of electronic communications. For lots of these
> things, you have to turn up in person (quite a few US states forbid
> online alcohol sales for exactly this reason, IIRC).

You have to show up in person once at a trusted identity proofing
service, after that point, many other verifiable claims can be collected
virtually. I'm not just asserting this, we have high-stakes pilot
projects in process where this is the case.

> That’s what I said. Here, look, Z (and you can confirm it’s Z,
> because of something like a digital signature) is willing to assert
> my (I am A) claim Y is true to the best of their knowledge.
>
> B now decides whether to trust Z’s claim about A.

Right, so I think we agree? I'm not sure.

Did the exchange convince you that this is work that's worth pursuing,
or do you not agree it's worth pursuing? We surveyed 44 organizations
(many of them W3C members), and there is data to show that this is a
problem that's worth pursuing (see slides 6-9):

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ithW3t-ahelw_0jsAbVmhXi5NyRl_-BAW6hMnJmoixc/edit#slide=id.p

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/