Re: Payment architecture vocabulary

Hi all,

To add some context before we chat later, the goal here is a common set of
terms to use in our technical documentation. The audience for W3C
documentation is developers, the majority of whom have no prior exposure to
payments industry terminology or definitions. One could argue that the
value of using industry terminology that predominantly originates from
regulatory and policy documents and is targeted at a different audience, is
limited.

By using existing terms such as payment scheme and payment instrument we
also limit ourselves in terms of what these can be from a technical
perspective. We need terminology for components of a technical
architechture. There is not a hard requirement that these terms correlate,
1:1 with policy and regulatory components.

For example, the architecture defines a component called a "payment app".
This is very similar to what many of us define as a payment instrument but
may also have features such as the ability to generate a token, communicate
with a 3rd party payment service or be installed in the host platform. This
is valuable in terms of the architecture and by calling this a payment
instrument we risk gaining little but confusing many who have preconceived
ideas about what a payment instrument is.

There may be a need for the IG to develop some guidance for non-technical
audiences about how the WG terminology relates (if it does) to more
traditional terminology.