RE: ***CAUTION_Invalid_Signature*** Proposed clarification to draft Web Payments WG Charter

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Jacobs [mailto:ij@w3.org]
Sent: Donnerstag, 13. August 2015 21:46
To: Web Payments IG
Subject: ***CAUTION_Invalid_Signature*** Proposed clarification to draft Web Payments WG Charter

Dear IG,

One W3C Member who reviewed the Web Payments WG charter [1] spotted conflicting (or at least confusing) statements in the scope section:

- "By addressing message format and flow, the group leaves open the standardization of the delivery mechanism for these messages"
- "the group will standardize delivery mechanisms for common scenarios"

Below please find a proposal to clarify the text in a manner that is consistent with other parts of the charter. I do not plan to modify the charter under review in place; we’ll make this sort of change after the review period ends.

Please let me know if these changes raise any concerns. There is a summary of the changes at the bottom of this email.

Thank you,

Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2015/06/payments-wg-charter.html

<OLD>
1. Goals

Under this charter, the Working Group defines standards that ease integration of the payments ecosystem into the Web for a payment initiated within a Web application.

2. Scope

The Working Group will standardize a set of messages and a message flow for the initiation, confirmation, and completion of a payment. Deliverables from this group will increase interoperability between payer and payee systems (for existing and future digital payment schemes), and encourage greater automation of the steps in a typical payment.

By addressing message format and flow, the group leaves open the standardization of the delivery mechanism for these messages as this will vary depending on the use case and technology stack. To support use cases where messages are proxied between payer and payee using different technologies, the group will standardize delivery mechanisms for common scenarios. This will include JavaScript APIs for the use cases where the messages are proxied between payer and payee via a Web browser and additional APIs where the messages are exchanged directly over the Web between two online entities.

This group is chartered to standardize programming interfaces; not user interfaces. This group will not define a new digital payment scheme.
</OLD>

=========

<NEW>
1. Goals

Under this charter, the Working Group defines standards that ease integration of the payments ecosystem into the Web for a payment initiated within a Web application. Deliverables from this group will increase interoperability between payer and payee systems (for existing and future digital payment schemes), and encourage greater automation of the steps in a typical payment.

2. Scope

The Working Group will standardize a set of messages and a message flow for the initiation, confirmation, and completion of a payment. The Working Group will also standardize how digital wallets and Web applications exchange these messages through a mediating user agent; see the deliverables section for further detail.

This group is chartered to standardize programming interfaces; not user interfaces.

This group will not define a new digital payment scheme.
</NEW>

=========
SUMMARY OF CHANGES:

1) Move sentence 2 from “Scope” up to “Goals” since it’s not profoundly about scope and reads better under Goals.
2) New sentence 2 in first paragraph of scope. Clearer statement of the fact that there is “flow” and there is “delivery” and we will deal with both of them.
    However, we are only dealing with delivery in ways where the browser mediates. The original purpose of this text was apparently to say something like
    “This flow is likely to be generally useful, whether the messages are delivered by a mediating user agent or not. In this charter, however, we will only
      deal with delivery through a mediating user agent.”
3) Delete old paragraph 2 of scope, now superseded by the preceding sentence.
4) Split last paragraph of scope into 2 separate paragraphs (since there are two distinct ideas).

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447