Re: EMV on the Web - A workable idea?

On 2015-08-03 16:56, Joerg.Heuer@telekom.de wrote:

> Hi again,

Hello Joerg,

> Actually I see it as the other side of the medal themed ‘primitives’ as you, Anders, brought them up on Wednesday.

When I mentioned primitives, I was rather thinking about very low-level, application-neutral stuff like XmlHttpRequest which historically has been the most fruitful area for traditional standardization.

FWIW, this is what I spend my precious cycles on.  My previous attempt (extending WebCrypto), terminated with the outcome "doesn't work" which IMO also is a quite useful result :)  Nowadays, I'm rather plotting with the idea of COMBINING the power of the Web and App worlds which I think it is a considerable better idea than DUPLICATING App functionality into the Web since the latter requires massive standardization and seems to take forever.  The market doesn't appear to be particularly religious when it comes to technology choices ;)

> If W3C brought up communication primitives for payment transactions, which stand by themselves but can be combined for more value (like receipts), it should also be open to allow for ‘alien’ protocols to do their jobs within that protocol framework (if I may call it that).

My problem with this is that there's currently nothing tangible on the table which effectively forces the future WG into a research quest to verify that this take on the matter actually is feasible and doesn't suffer from the numerous [potential] shortcomings I listed.

> My sneaky strategy would be to add further elements to this ‘framework’ which make it easier and more valuable for implementers to base future functionalities on this framework rather than developing new proprietary solutions. …and of course I wouldn’t call it a ‘sneaky strategy’ for PR reasons – rather an ‘inclusive strategy’ perhaps… J
>
> I’d have a problem doing things the other way if it involves us assuming we already know the best way to solve all the specific aspects of this or that payment implementation – plus understanding how loyalty and identity should be included in the future. We won’t be able to think that much ahead and across all the different scenarios and industries, so I’d rather be open for the unknown, but incrementally add standardized primitives for the things we already know.

I do not see identity as an integral part of a payment scheme. Existing payment systems do not generally provide this factor. Enrollment and KYC is another step preceding payments.  There are a few schemes that mix these things like signing up for automatically paid electricity bills but that's (IMO) not really a payment system, it is rather a mutual 3-party authorization system.

Cheers,
Anders