Re: Error, I think

Janevy Qu wrote:
> In "OWL Web Ontology LanguageGuide W3C Recommendation 10 February 2004", the
> chapter of "3.3.5. InverseFunctionalProperty" has a erroneous sentence.
>
> Original text: "owl:InverseFunctional implies that the elements of the range
> provide a unique identifier for each element of the domain."
>
> Should be: "owl:InverseFunctional implies that the elements of the domain
> provide a unique identifier for each element of the range."

Dear Janevy Qu,

Thanks very much for your comment. I believe the wording is correct: the
range value ("object") uniquely identifies the domain value ("subject").

Maybe the example in the OWL Reference [1] helps to shed more light:

[[
<owl:InverseFunctionalProperty rdf:ID="biologicalMotherOf">
   <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Woman"/>
   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#Human"/>
</owl:InverseFunctionalProperty>

This example states that for each object of biologicalMotherOf
statements (some human) one should be able to uniquely identify a
subject (some woman). Inverse-functional properties resemble the notion
of a key in databases.
]]

Please let us know whether this helps.

Regards,
Guus Schreiber
co-chair Web Ontology Working Group

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#InverseFunctionalProperty-def

--
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Computer Science
T: +31 20 598 7739/7718; F: +31 84 712 1446