Re: implicit ways to define mandatory properties in OWL?

At 6:48 PM +0100 11/18/03, Benjamin Nowack wrote:
>Hi,
>
>as far as I understand, the usual way to specify
>a _required_ property is by using OWL's cardinality
>constraints (owl:cardinality, owl:minCardinality,
>owl:maxCardinality) on local classes/restrictions.
>
>I wonder if there are any other ways to flag a
>property (locally or globally) as mandatory?
>
>thanx for your time and help,
>benjamin
>
>[background: I'm working on a tool which creates html
>forms based on an OWL ontology that can only be
>submitted if at least the mandatory fields are
>filled in. Now I'm trying to find out, if I missed
>something in the OWL docs..]
>
>___________________________
>benjamin nowack
>
>kruppstrasse 82-100
>45145 essen, germany

The other way is with owl:someValuesFrom -- this means there must be
at least one value of the property that has that class or datatype,
so it makes it mandatory.  (note that paradoxically allValuesFrom
doesn't mandate that there must be one, just that if there is one it
must be of that class)
--
Professor James Hendler			  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  240-277-3388 (Cell)