RE: Minor comments on 18 Aug 2003 OWL Guide [attempt 2]

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 14:03, Smith, Michael K wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Thank you for your suggestions.  Please reply to the mailing list
> as to whether the proposed changes below adequately address your
> comments with respect to the Guide.
>
> - Mike
>
> Michael K. Smith, Ph.D., P.E.
> EDS - Austin Innovation Centre
> 98 San Jacinto, #500
> Austin, TX  78701
>
> phone: +01-512-404-6683
> email: michael.smith@eds.com
>

> > 1) Subsections of 3.4 are numbered; subsections of 3.3
> >    are not. I think those of 3.3 should also be
> >    <h3> numbered headers.
>
> I agree, not sure what historical artifact led to that.  Will fix.
>
> > 2) Under 3.3, inverseOf, "z" is mentioned in the first
> >    sentence (before the colon) but is not used in
> >        P1(x,y) iff P2(y,x)
>
> Will fix.
>
> > 3) Under 3.3, inverseFuntionalProperty, on the other hand,
> >    "z" is not used in the first sentence but does appear
> >     in
> >        P(y,x) and P(z,x) implies y = z.
>
> Will fix.
>
> > 4) The first few paragraphs of section 4 (Ontology mapping)
> >    seemed to cry out for at least a mention of namespaces.
> >    This comment is not that important, but if there is
> >    more information in another document about ontology
> >    sharing, a reference to it would be helpful.
>
> I see what you are saying.  The intent here was to be fairly
> abstract.  Perhaps I should be more explicit in the example. I
> talk about the food and wine ontologies and use the &vin
> construct but without explicit reference to &food.  How about
> modifying the second paragraph of 4.1 from
>
>  One way to do this is by defining a class in the food ontology
>  and ...
>
> to read
>
>  One way to do this is by defining a class in the food ontology
>  (&food;Wine) and ...

Ok.

> > 5) I think the second example in section 5.1.2 deserves
> >    more explanation. Section 5.1.1 is about intersections.
> >    The example in 5.1.2 refers to the "intersection of
> >    sweet and non-sweet fruit," but the intersectionOf
> >    operator that was just introduced is not present.
> >    I see from section 3.1.1 that "Instances of the class
> >    belong to the intersection of the restrictions [that
> >    appear in the class definition]." That subtle point is
> >    lost in the wake of 5.1.1.
>
> I thought the point was fairly clear.  But I have been staring
> at this document for a long time.  5.1.1 states that
>
>  The construction above states that WhiteWine is exactly the
>  intersection of the class Wine and the set of things that are white in
>  color.
>
> 5.1.2 states
>
>  This says that the instances of Fruit are a subset of the intersection
>  of sweet and non-sweet fruit, which we would expect to be the empty
>  set.
>
> >    In fact, would the example in 5.1.2 be better off
> >    in section 5.1.1?
>
> The reason to pull this example into the unionOf discussion is that
> some people have misinterpreted the implicit combination of the
> two subClassOf's.  The other point is that this second example is not
> definitional, and the text is an explicit reminder to the reader of
> the difference.  As well as the difference between this construct
> and that in 5.1.1.
>
> >    Also, the example revealed to me that I do not
> >    understand why rdf:resource is used in some cases
> >    and why rdf:about is used in others. The topic
> >    is introduced in 3.1.1, but I don't get a good
> >    understanding of the difference there. The Guide says
> >    that rdf:about is used to "extend the definition of
> >    a resource." However, I don't see any extensions
> >    going on in the example in 5.1.2.

> There is some confusion in my text.  The "extend the definition" text
> is meant to differentiate rdf:ID and rdf:about.  And rereading it, I
> don't think that is clear, given how rdf:resource is used in the
> middle of the text.  I suggest changing:
>
>  Within this document, the Region class can now be referred to
>  using rdf:resource="#Region".

>  Within this document, the Region class can now be referred to
>  using #Region, e.g. rdf:resource="#Region".
>
> The id/about distinction is that rdf:ID is meant to be used in the
> initial introduction of an element and rdf:about is used to elaborate
> on it in a further description.

There should be some explanation about why rdf:about is
*preferable* to rdf:ID. In particular, the TAG's Architecture
Document promotes web-wide linking, and I think rdf:about fits
better than rdf:ID.

Thank you,

 _ Ian

> rdf:resource is used in a property instance, typically to identify
> the range element.

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447