Re: Another RDF Comment on the OWL Reference Doc

At 18:09 09/05/2003 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:

[...]

>RDFCore requests that the specifications be amended to include a
>description of necessary conditions for a RDF document to be in OWL DL and
>OWL Lite.

After some offlist discussion with JimH about this comment, I'd like to
emphasize that it concerns an "RDF Document" which was intended to mean
primarily RDF instance data, though with hindsight might also apply to an
RDFS schema.

So the request is for some simple rules that, if followed, will ensure that
an RDF document containing instance data (not an ontology) can be processed
by an Owl DL reasoner, presumably in conjunction with an Owl DL ontology.

This comment was generated when it was discovered that there is a
restriction on the use of b-nodes, that had not been immediately
apparent.  A rule such as "Don't use rdf:nodeID", for example, might be
appropriate.

I am sending this personal clarification of the comment without consulting
RDFCore, but am BCC'ing RDFCore so that folks there have the opportunity to
review it.

Brian