Re: W3C Webizen - question about web developer relation

On 6 Sep 2014, at 9:52 am, Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org> wrote:

>>> Quick clarification in case that's useful: w3schools has nothing to do with W3C.
>>>
>> Yes.  I believe you've started an alternative that needs more work...?
>
> Correct.
> When people complain to us about w3schools, we [clarify as above and] redirect them to webplatform.org.

Cool [1].  Whilst my scripting skills are not so good, i’m very much a geek, a media geek at that.  A frustration i experienced, was that the process within schools was to have projects validated using validator.w3.org [2] yet the material provided to demonstrate how to built pages, and what was possible, showcased Csszengarden [3] and W3 Schools [4].  Problem was of course, that if a student used those reference sites [3][4] then an array of functions wouldn’t validate. This in-turn formed an issue about maintaining some form of consistency surrounding the curricula resources provided for teaching WebDev.

It therefore appears that the opportunity for improving resources for students, teachers and other people interested in Web development, via initiatives such as WebPlatform [5], is amongst the more sophisticated and interesting opportunities any additional revenue generated via the Webizen program - could be used to support.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webizen/2014Sep/0018.html
[2] http://validator.w3.org/
[3] http://www.csszengarden.com/
[4] http://www.w3schools.com/