Re: Meeting update and next meeting

On 9/4/2014 6:28 AM, Tim Holborn wrote:
> I’ve been quite busy and apologise for not getting further into this process sooner.
>
> I participate in several CG’s already.  What is the difference between a world of free participation within the CG (of which the CV / Lists.w3 process is already for filled) vs. paying $100.

There is no proposal to associate a fee for CGs.  They continue to be
without cost.  The Webizen proposal is to allow more of an affiliation
and support for W3C as an organization.

> Is the intention to privatise participation, subject to this new financing arrangement?

No.

>   Is this a promotional program - for merchandising?

No.

>    I’m rather sure the program is unnecessary for merchandising - and perhaps commercially, other options are available to undertake the merchandising opportunity in more progressive, and likely more commercially capable terms - than selling ‘non-memberships’.
>
> It has been my intention to put the survey questions into a google form or similar.
>
> The question “from the floor” was “individual membership”?  If so,
>
> How does a non-membership program differ from CG participation and/or enhance accessibility for willing, capable and interested participants, who are willing to provide their time without association to an incorporated legal entity (who may well be otherwise paying an employee or other agent for facilitating engagement with W3C) for what many might assume, would be an underlying purpose of seeking to contribute towards the “we we want", insofar as that technical standards do, in-turn, influence opportunities surrounding citizenship, et.al.

We are trying to determine (through these meetings and the survey)
whether this program has appeal; or what characteristics would give the
program appeal.  We don't have answers to your question yet.