Re: user groups Re: Comments on Webizen proposal

On 5/12/2014 7:20 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2014 22:35:46 +0200, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

>>> How is that different from CGs? Or IGs and BGs?
>>
>> Hmm, I guess one could create a CG that focuses on a user
>> perspective, but I'm not sure I've seen that focus.
>
> I believe there are BGs where people are focused on users.

-1.  They are not focused on general web developers but rather on the
functional needs of vertical industries.

> There is a voting CG that is apparently focused on the users (i.e.
> voters),

-1.  I meant users in the technical sense of using Web technology.

> and to a large extent I think that is the case for the Process CG.

-1.  This focuses on process geeks - not developers.

> It is certainly thecase for a large number of the participants in the
> HTML email CG.

I missed that one.

> But given the trivial requirements for creating one, perhaps the
> reason for not doing so is that there aren't that many people excited
> about doing so. Or that they don't know how.

Right.  So maybe we can use the Webizen community as a way to direct
Webizens to create appropriate CGs.  Although depending on scope,
perhaps we won't need CLAs, since they may not be designing specs. CGs w
CLAs are more focused on spec writers.

> It isn't that we don't have a nice easy way to do it.
>
> I don't think creating yet another class of group helps us, as a
> general principle. There are specific costs for W3C members in the CG
> experiment and I don't think we have done a very good job yet of
> embedding that withing W3C (although it has had a success as a
> stand-alone project). I don't see any benefit in providing different
> groups for Webizens, whereas I do see some value in noting that CG
> members are webizens (or for that matter, W3C members).

Good point.  That is why we are not rushing into this, but listing it as
a long-term benefit.