Re: A motivation for Webizens from the work on JSON-LD

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 16:38:58 +0400, Christophe Guéret
<christophe.gueret@dans.knaw.nl> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've just been pointed to this nice post Manu Sporny wrote some time ago:
> http://manu.sporny.org/2014/json-ld-origins-2/
[...]
> I see this as a clear example of how Webizen could have helped there.
> Instead of coming from the outside or having needed to be affiliated
> with a W3C member, Markus and the others could have been Webizen joining
> this WG to give a hand.
>
> What do you think ?

[[[
> We also may never have had the community backing to do some of the
> things we did in JSON-LD, like kicking RDF in the nuts."
]]]
I'm not sure what this means, but I don't think it's a very helpful
expression of whatever it might mean.

More to the point:
1. Webziens were (and IMHO remain) unnecessary for this. We have an
invited expert mechanism that has functioned fairly well in many cases
over almost 2 decades, we now have the Community/Business Group mechanism,
and this seems to be an example of how they can function effectively.
2. Is there any evidence that Markus (or any other important member of the
relevant community) would have paid to be a Webizen?
3. I still prefer that W3C participants be members, and bring a strong IPR
commitment from their organisation, where that is possible.

cheers

Chaals