Re: "Webizen" task force re-convening - Please complete doodle poll

On 7/3/2014 11:13 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> [...]
>
>     The draft agenda for the first call is:
>
>     1. Goals for program
>     2. Success criteria for program
>     3. Target market and marketing study
>     4. Brainstorming
>
>     To have a more efficient call, let me say a bit in email about
>     these agenda items.
>
>     *Goals for the program*:  I was challenged to articulate the goals
>     of the program.  The questioner suggested 5 potential goals:
>
>     A. W3C wants to establish itself as the primary steward of the
>     Web, and toward that goal wants to have individuals participate.
>
>     B. Countries grant citizenships -- W3C  wants to create Webizens a
>     la Citizens
>
>     C. W3C  wants to involve the wider community -- rather than be
>     seen as a place where only companies play
>
>     D. W3C wants to create an additional revenue stream
>
>     E. Degrading further: W3C  wants to sell t-shirts and coffee-mugs
>     that are "branded".
>
>     My response was:
>
>     "It is closest to C.
>
>     In the wiki [1] we say 'The idea of the program is to allow
>     individuals to affiliate with the Web standards community  ... we
>     seek to make available a new means to congregate as a community.'"
>
>     We should see if that is the consensus, or if the consensus is one
>     of the other points, or something else.
>
>     *Success criteria for the program*:  This is an area which needs
>     some development.  My starting point (which is informal and not
>     precise) is that people who sign up find it useful and we don't
>     lose any money. Others have proposed more precise criteria, such as:
>
>       * More than 500 webizens in 2 years.
>       * Most of our Invited Experts become webizens in 2 years.
>
>     *Marketing study.*  At some point we will need to do a marketing
>     study.  It is probably too early in this effort to create the
>     study - but I would like to discuss what we think is the minimum
>     intensive study which qualifies as a marketing study.  I asked W3C
>     Members to fund a marketing study (dollars or people to perform
>     the study) but I received not volunteers.  The Team, with its
>     meager resources volunteered to undertake a study. I've asked task
>     forcers whether the Team proposal is adequate, but I've gotten few
>
>     For your study, here is the Team proposal:
>
>       * We have 87K twitter followers.
>       * We could send them a survey monkey survey with a few
>         questions, and offer anyone who completes the survey 10
>         vaildator coupons.
>       * We estimate that we get 100 answers that way at relatively low
>         cost.
>       * The Webizen task force would design the survey and the Team
>         would implement it.
>
>     Jeff
>
>     [1] https://www.w3.org/wiki/Webizen
>     [2] http://doodle.com/ihry7d6vhh8dr9p6
>

> What would be in such a survey - not particular questions, just
> loosely?  Sounds like a good way to get some kind of data, but... what
> do you want to ask them, I'm not sure I see a question here.

Assuming we design a proposed Webizen program with a name and certain
benefits, questions (loosely) could be of the form:

1. Wdyt?
2. Wdyt of the benefits?
3. Would you suggest more/fewer?
4. Wdyt of the name?
5. Would you become a Webizen?
6. Would you encourage your closest friends and relatives?
7. Would you tell everyone you know?
8. Any other comments?