Re: Resigning from chair

On 3/27/24 6:04 PM, Jacopo Scazzosi wrote:

> Hello Sarven,
>
> I am grateful on many levels for your reaching out to me. It’s not
> easy to own up to our own shortcomings and I wish more people - me
> included - had the courage and presence of mind to do so every time
> the situation calls for it. I am also humbled by your continued
> decision to trust my judgement and leadership, even in times of
> friction and particularly considering how much more experienced you
> are. I’m not paying lip service, here; it’s a lovely gesture and I
> acknowledge that. Thank you.
>
> While I was always aware of the fact that there is a silent majority
> that passively follows the conversation while (mostly) keeping out of
> it, in the past few days and through the kindness of all who reached
> out in private I’ve realized just how big this majority is and just
> how unfortunate it is that this group is able to drive so many people
> out of the conversation.
>
> At this point there’s a problematic set of ingrained behaviors that I
> don’t think will ever change, though I still hope it will. I could get
> past that but, in order for me to truly reconsider, I would need a
> tangible sign from the silent majority that they do, indeed, agree
> with the process 1
> <https://github.com/w3c/WebID/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md> that we’ve
> settled on and that they do, indeed, recognize the progress 2
> <https://github.com/w3c/WebID/blob/main/spec/identity/index.bs> made
> so far as a legitimate continuation and evolution of all that took
> place before my time as chair.
>
> I cannot, at the same time, be the chair, be the editor and also argue
> for the legitimacy of my own chairing and editing. That’s a clear
> conflict of interest. However, I also cannot continue absorbing these
> implications of forking, railroading and disrespecting both the group
> and its legacy amidst the silence of the group at large. A silence
> which, by the way, I completely understand and would never dream of
> thinking of as a slight or a fault. Engaging is emotionally stressful
> and exhausting, and we can all do with less of those. I am not sure
> that /I/ would engage and I surely don’t expect others to do so. I’m
> just stating my requirements.
>
> If the group can do this and if, perhaps, we can commit to helping
> each other maintain a professional conduct, I will seriously consider
> chairing again.
>
> Best, Jacopo.

All,

Concurring with Jacopo's sentiment above, and suspecting that a majority
would like him to stay on as chair, I would encourage a vote that
includes a majority of group participants. This vote would at least shed
light on the overarching sentiments of this group regarding acceptable
conduct with regards to:

1. How to deal with a designated chairperson -- who by the very nature
of the role cannot satisfy everyone's desires

2. How to handle disagreement -- since as individuals we cannot all
agree on everything

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):