Re: Honoring Henry

po 25. 3. 2024 v 12:33 odesílatel Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> napsal:

> On 2024-03-25 12:16, Jacopo Scazzosi wrote:
> > Hello Sarven,
> >
> >> You've noticed that only now?
> >
> > Yes, I did actually notice that only now and I am trying to rectify the
> situation. Making sure that the spec properly acknowledged those who
> contributed to it is something I wanted to look at after clearing the
> backlog but I hadn’t realized that there was no mention of Henry left at
> all.
> >
> >> Interesting editorial/chairing work there…
> >
> > I assume that by “interesting” you mean “bad”. I’ll take it. I make
> mistakes.
> >
> >> So, Henry authored/edited, among many other things, the WebID
> specification. You may want to (re-)visit the history before reducing
> Henry's contributions to "acknowledgements" (which goes without saying).
> >
> > It is not my intention to reduce or minimize anything, as should be
> clear by the fact that I’m calling for the group to pitch in as to what to
> do in this regard. I also wouldn’t know where to put a paragraph (or two,
> or as many as the group wants) about Henry if not in the acknowledgements
> section, though that’s likely down to my own inexperience. If there are
> better ways to commemorate a late chair within the spec itself, let’s do
> that.
> >
> > Best,
> > Jacopo.
>

> Clearly Andrei, Henry, and Tim are co-authors. As you're the only chair
> and editor, you must read every single character that's being drafted.
>
> If the acknowledgement section is kept in your draft, I'd suggest
> ack'ing everyone that meets a certain criteria, whatever that may be.
>
> Regarding Henry's contributions, I'd suggest something along the lines
> of HTML5's acknowledgements (
>
> https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/acknowledgements.html#acknowledgments
> ):
>
>  >Thanks to Tim Berners-Lee for inventing HTML, without which none of
> this would exist.
>
> So:
>
> Thanks to Henry Story for leading the development of WebID, without
> which none of this would exist.

Concur with much of what Sarven is saying or implying.

I think it's very important for Jacopo to acknowledge that there is a fork
of Henry, Tim et als work, supported by Openlink, but without unanimous
consent.

I have asked before and I am strongly in favour of this fork.

It would be good if a response could be on-list, for the project history.

Given that 6 people are required to start a CG, IMHO such a big pivot
should have 6, or close to 6 strong supporters.  I dont like that Openlink
will be counted as 2 either, but could hold my nose there.

Please do answer this Jacopo, on list, with a list of names that strongly
support this fork.  Not links, actual names, for the history.  Would be
much appreciated.