Re: Focusing on the superset and subset work item

On 1/3/24 1:03 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> I'd like to take a moment to reiterate the main focus of our group,
> based on the consensus reached in July 2023 regarding the superset and
> subset specifications.
>
> see:
> Proposal:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Jul/0056.html
>
> multiple +1s
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Jul/0065.html
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Jul/0057.html
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Jul/0058.html
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2023Jul/0061.html
> etc.
>
> Currently, we are encountering two challenges: an influx of new work
> items lacking broad consensus and a diversion of focus from our
> primary objective, which is also being affected by unnecessary
> complications. This thread serves to refocus our efforts on the key
> work item we've agreed to prioritize. Additionally, should there be
> any differing views, I encourage expressing them here, allowing the
> chair to address them in a unified manner. This approach will enable
> us to reach a collective decision efficiently.

Hi Melvin,

I am a challenger, and I've spelt out why in my various github comments,
of which this
<https://github.com/w3c/WebID/issues/21#issuecomment-1876035863> is the
most recent.

*Problem:*

We have a specification with a too-clever title "WebID and Identity
Discovery (WebID) Specification" that conflates (overtly and covertly) a
number of items that should be loosely-coupled:

1. Identity -- via an HTTP URI (passport number)

2. Identification -- via a machine-computable an entity relationship
graph comprising machine-computable relationship type semantics to which
an HTTP URI resolves (passport document)

The current spec is stuck because, circa 2024, identification is
hardwired to Turtle as the document content-type and use of terms from
the FOAF vocabulary for machine-computable entity relationship type
semantics.

*Solution suggestions:*

1. Rename the current specification e.g., "WebID Profile Document
Specification for {Specific Content-Type} using {Specific Vocab Terms}

2. Fix content of the current specification by incorporating JSON-LD as
an alternative content-type option alongside Turtle; while also
incorporating equivalent Schema.org term -- thereby allowing
implementers pick their preference

*Context:*

We have a baby before us, we can split it en route to inevitable death
or use architectural flexibility to ensure it lives on.

Personally, I would like it to live on -- hence the effort I've put into
this matter since the notion of a WebID was birth.

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog:https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog