Re: Chairing, Superspec, subspecs and WebID 1.0

so 11. 11. 2023 v 21:51 odesílatel Aaron Coburn <aaronc@inrupt.com> napsal:

> This sounds really good.
>
> In addition to what Jacopo wrote, one thing that might help us reach
> consensus on a WebID specification is to start with a collection of clearly
> articulated use cases. If we agree on the use cases, it can be easier to
> find agreement on the specification that follows.
>
> While this would add an extra step at the beginning of this process, this
> can help clarify the scope and direction for WebID.
>
> I suspect that there is already a lot of informal agreement on the use
> cases, but by formalizing this more clearly now, we may be able to avoid a
> certain category of disagreements and/or scope creep later on.

W3C use cases are notoriously hit and miss.

For example looking at the Solid WG Charter, it says:

"Solid servers and applications across a wide range of use cases."

Which points to this

https://github.com/solid/user-stories

Wall of text

Then you have to find your way to the issues:

https://github.com/solid/user-stories/issues

With a top issue: "Someone to manage these stories?"

And the actual user stories are an uncategorized mess.  And that's an
actual working group.

There might be some compromise happy medium where we can pool expertise and
come up with a practical set of use cases that are already in use, and
useful, or that are close to being in use, and have broad appeal.  For
example:

1. The microblogging use case is prevalent across the open social web, and
reaching a degree of maturity.

2. The SEO use case is widely deployed across the web.

3. WebID was always designed to be the basis of a social graph, something
to rival facebook, but as an open standard, dating back to the FOAF concept.

4. We should want to create an open social network with group based
privacy, similar to facebook.  In fact that was the whole motivation for
the creation of Solid, before the academia pivot.  Something with friends,
friend request and connections.

5. A key use case is single-sign on using PKI.  That's how it all started.

6. Allowing agents to work together with humans on the web.

7. User data control, download, and archival

8. Encrypted chat applications, and messengers

9. Payments from one user to another without requiring a third party.

Perhaps we can make a pragmatic list of a dozen or so of these.

But what purpose will it serve?