Re: Chairing, Superspec, subspecs and WebID 1.0

On 11/11/23 6:34 PM, Nathan Rixham wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 8:51 PM Aaron Coburn <aaronc@inrupt.com> wrote:
>
>     This sounds really good.
>
>     In addition to what Jacopo wrote, one thing that might help us
>     reach consensus on a WebID specification is to start with a
>     collection of clearly articulated use cases. If we agree on the
>     use cases, it can be easier to find agreement on the specification
>     that follows.
>
>     While this would add an extra step at the beginning of this
>     process, this can help clarify the scope and direction for WebID.
>

> Considering this was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Given:
>
> 1) we can assert for example <x> foaf:knows <y>, and that entails that
> <y> a :Agent, and <x>, via range and domain.
> 2) all other aspects are factored out (for example media types,
> profiles, auth, keys, etc)
>
> Then the use case reduced down to, why would I need that single
> statement (<x> a :Agent ) to be established via dereferencing the URI
> <x> rather than any other means (see 1.)
>
> I am left with: there is value in me saying "you are an Aaron" (<you>
> :name "Aaron"), and then in you confirming "I am Aaron" (<#me> :name
> "Aaron"), and that value is established via the dereferencing function.
>
> Secondly, it promotes good form, and introduces the benefits of
> dereferencing which are greatly enhanced when you factoring in the
> things which come after (2.)
>
> Finally, if you encounter wild data, out of a follow your nose
> context, it's useful for all manner of functionality to be able to:
> if(x an Agent) then.
>
> That's all I can come up with.

Use case:

Issue?

Creating a Profile Document that’s native to the Web.

Why is this important?

Control over privacy, which is inherently dependent on verifiable
identity, remains a huge problem across the public Web, intranets, and
extranets.

How?

An HTML doc comprising a structured data island (a/k/a rich metadata)
that expresses an entity relationship graph using JSON-LD.

Example?

See:
https://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/YouID/link-in-bio-credentials-5/index.html

Relevant Snippets?

|{ "@id":
"https://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/YouID/link-in-bio-credentials-5/index.html#netid",
"@type": "schema:Person", "schema:email": "kidehen@openlinksw.com",
"foaf:mbox": { "@id": "mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com" },
"schema:worksFor": { "@type": "schema:Organization", "schema:name":
"Personal Data Space" }, "schema:address": { "@type": "schema:Place",
"schema:addressCountry": "US", "schema:addressRegion": "Massachusetts"
}, "schema:name": "Kingsley Uyi Idehen" } |

​

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):