Re: Subsets of the Superset

On 11/11/23 12:48 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> Issue raised: https://github.com/w3c/WebID/issues/21
>
> Once the superset specification has been drafted, we will also need
> subset specs as outlined in #17 <https://github.com/w3c/WebID/issues/17>
>
> Which ones should be selected?
>
> Here's my votes:
>
> +1 JSON-LD
> +1 Turtle
>
> -1 RDFa
> -1 anything that mandates XHTML
>
> +0 everything else
>
> The reasoning behind this is to align with current adoption,
> popularity with web developers, backwards compatibility, and areas
> that have a chance of achieving broad adoption and growth.
>
> Happy to hear other opinions on this.

FWIW -- Turtle should be considered an option (MAY) rather than a
requirement (SHOULD). The Web is already replete with WebIDs and
WebID-Profile documents, predominantly comprising:

 1. HTML documents.
 2. Embedded structured data islands (rich metadata) formulated in
    entity relationship graph format using any combination of JSON-LD,
    Microdata, RDFa, or Plain Old Semantic HTML (POSH) – with JSON-LD
    leading in terms of future adoption growth.

While the world may not be eagerly awaiting, nor particularly concerned
about, a WebID specification, having a spec that formalizes an already
widely used pattern would be beneficial.

Historically, such advice has often been disregarded in the context of
W3C specifications, leading to outcomes where developers largely ignore
these specifications, opting instead to develop broadly adopted yet
flawed solutions. This situation persists while the relevant W3C spec
remains mired in ongoing and repetitive debate.

Having been involved in this field for an extended period, I can only
offer advice based on substantial evidence and extensive experience
across various levels.

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):