Re: Should we complete the WebID spec?

po 6. 11. 2023 v 10:12 odesílatel Stian Soiland-Reyes <
soiland-reyes@manchester.ac.uk> napsal:

> Having a world-wide registry of urn:webid: usernames sounds error-prone
> and counter-productive, unless you say the usernames are organized by
> different authorities.
>
> For instance ORCID use a series of ISNI numbers, so
> urn:webid:0000-0001-9842-9718 would be equivalent to
> https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718 -- other ISNI providers would have
> other ranges (see https://isni.org/page/linked-data/ )
>
> Note that https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718 is already a valid WebID
> and Web-based, I also declared the "WebID" page relation that adds a
> owl:sameAs against my personal FOAF.
>

> We already have a well-known authority for the Web based on DNS, and don't
> understand how a URN namespace for people would be beneficial if it doesn't
> come with a reservation & resolution mechanism. If there is to be such a
> registry then I am not sure why it should not be Web-based.

It's an orthogonal thing:

webid.info

for example contains the word webid as part of the DNS name space, but it,
itself, it not a webid

having webid in a name does not imply the thing is a webid

however this is not a CG group work item, right now