Re: Should we complete the WebID spec?

pá 3. 11. 2023 v 18:00 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
napsal:

> [...]
>>>
>>> What's that, and why?
>>>
>>> A WebID has always been an HTTP based URI used to name an Agent.
>>>

>> Yes indeed.  But not every authentication process gives a URI (sadly).
>> Some will give a string of characters that denote an Agent, which need to
>> be turned into a URI.
>>

>> I didn't see our focus right now being on solving for authentication
>> protocols and URI combinations. I believe the primary objective is to
>> propel WebID forward by delineating its essence and its potential usage,
>> especially within the context of Solid.
>>
>> The shift from understanding WebID as an HTTP URI that identifies an
>> Agent to something else doesn't align with the aforementioned goal.
>>
>> Presently, we utilize the term NetID for a URI that identifies an Agent,
>> grounded on the reality that we have authentication services accommodating
>> a range of schemes right from the outset.
>>
>> The discourse around WebID and Solid Lite seems to diverge slightly from
>> the issues pertinent to a NetID. Furthermore, with billions of pages on the
>> Web currently utilizing HTTP URIs to identify Agents, it seems prudent to
>> harness this established practice with the existing WebID definition.
>>
>> Isn't the ultimate aim to employ HTML profile documents, encompassing RDF
>> structured data islands (i.e., metadata articulated through various RDF
>> notations), via a more streamlined derivative of Solid?
>>

> Kingsley, you are completely correct.  I agree with everything.
>
> I'm just outlining the things I would like to complete to make a working
> system, bearing in mind that this comunity group may close.
>
> The problem of turning a string into a URI post authentication, is
> something I'll need to do.
>
> Turning:  "userid" into urn: <something> : userid is a quick hack.
> Whether it's webid or netid, the software doesnt care, so long as it's
> consistent.
>
> It would be in this case something like an "indirect identifier" as
> described in awww.  Example:
>
> "Today 10 Downing Street said that ..."
>
> Of course the building 10 Downing Street didnt say anything.  It's an
> incorrect sentence.  But the consumers of the sentence understand it well
> enough.
>

> You handle that using blank nodes, which is basically the default in JSON
> or JSON-LD without explicitly indicating an object id. Bascially, your
> example is ground zero for JSON and JSON-LD where both denote subjects
> using indefinite pronouns (a/k/a blank nodes).
>

> Example:  What is a WebID URN?  A webid URN is a web identifier that is a
> URI but where the software was unable to locat an HTTP URI but wishes to
> store the authenticated username as a URI.
>
> I need to get something working in any case, in order to have a pluggable
> auth system.
>

> My point is that you are swimming against the current if you want to
> venture down this path. More importantly, it cannot be named WebID -- since
> that's a massive change from the original definition.

I am no longer concerned about this items.  There are 5 people active which
ought to be enough to continue the group.

That means there's no rush to get any work items processed.  They can be
presented to the group when sufficiently mature, and we can operate with
lazy consensus.

I have all I need for the moment.  Thanks.