Re: webid serializations consensus 2023

st 5. 7. 2023 v 14:02 odesílatel Jacopo Scazzosi <jacopo@scazzosi.com>
napsal:

> > You can simplify the output, for example, with the draft context made by
> Aaron
>
> Yes, but doesn’t that only affect parsing at the JSON level? Once we cross
> into RDF, then the complexities of the JSON-LD parsing algorithm and the
> need to fetch external contexts can’t be worked around.
>
> For context, I speak from the perspective of trying to use WebID in
> environments both corporate (external resources are often not accessible)
> and IoT (low-power devices) in nature. I would be saddened but would
> understand if the group decided to simply not support these kinds of
> contexts.

I'm very reluctant to get into the use case of low power devices, because
it could derail the whole conversation.  It should be evident to people on
this list, that contexts can be inlined too though.

> > The Solid WG still has to be accepted by the W3C membership, and that
> wont happen until around october.  So we still have 3 months to do a
> handover, if the group decides to go that route.
>
> Should the spec be in any way modified during the handover? Or should we
> simply represent the status quo of where we are in the various discussions
> about it, perhaps in a separate document? What’s the standard approach?

That would depend on the editors time and availability.  The CG can help,
but we need someone to get it over the line.

> > A decent amount of time in the group was spent agreeing on JSON-LD and
> it would be good to reflect that effort
>
> I think we discussed JSON-LD a lot and we all generally agree that it
> would be good to have _some kind_ of support for it at the spec level.
> However, I am afraid the agreement breaks down when it comes to the details:
>
> - Do we mention serialization formats explicitly?
> - If so, is JSON-LD a SHOULD or a MUST?

It has to be a two step process.  First we have to agree we want to add
JSON-LD.  Then we have to create the appropriate text and examples.

Most of the w3c linked data stack has moved to JSON-LD now.  By 2025
everyone will be using JSON.

What is generally done is that examples are put in the spec, and developers
use that as copy and paste.

The SHOULD/MUST is a separate topic.  Last time we voted on it.  I think
most could live with either wording, or a variation on it.