Re: WebID default serialization for WebID 2.x

On 1/24/22 2:15 PM, Jacopo Scazzosi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>> A NetID is a resolvable identifier that denotes and entity unambiguously.
>> This identifier can resolve to JSON, JSON-LD, RDF-Turtle, etc profile
>> documents as preferred by an Identity Provider  -- leaving the agnostic
>> nature of RDF to handle the inevitable and natural data messiness.
>> Keep JSON(-LD) as a SHOULD, have no serialisation as a MUST, this gives the
>> feel of a NetID type spec.
> Am I correct if I state that the implication, here, is that NetID clients must
> be able to work with all RDF serialization formats?

Hi Jacopo,

No.

>   If so, how do you make this
> future-proof so that clients do not break when new formats arise?

New formats will always arise in regards to representing entity
relationships using graphic or linear notations. The trick is to look to
a RDF as being totally abstract in nature with loose-coupling to various
notations and serialization formats.

It is unlikely that entity relationship graphs (be it EAV or RDF) are
going anywhere soon :)

>> a) the W3C spec generally for Agent IDs - i.e. exact same as NetID
>> b) the W3C spec for Agent IDs usable only where Turtle is spoken
>>     (others can call their Agent IDs NetID or BingoCards or whatever)
>> c) the W3C spec for Agent IDs usable only where JSON(-LD) is spoken
>>     (others can call their Agent IDs NetID or BingoCards or whatever)
> IMHO, b) or c) limited to JSON.

No matter how it is worded, a MUST for any serialization format (or
content-type) is a problem. Jonas explained this nicely in an earlier
response.

If you start with JSON it is highly likely that your effort will be
groked by many a "Web Developer" out there i.e., your work will attract
collaborators and users quite rapidly. Achieving that trumps any MUST in
a spec, IMHO.

For instance, look at where all the MUST and SHOULDs took WebID:

A great piece of work (leveraging core Web Architecture) that addresses
a important problem, but is barely used and rarely understood circa 2022.

> On top of the above, I fear a) would lead to
> *huge*, less maintainable clients. Which is not an issue in some cases but can
> be a significant one in others.

Not if you look through NetID lenses :)

> Best regards,
> Jacopo