Re: WebID default serialization for WebID 2.x

Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2022-01-24 20:01:21)
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 at 19:03, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Kingsley Idehen (2022-01-24 17:32:55)
> > > A WebID was supposed to be as follows:
> > >
> > > A resovable identifier that denotes an Agent, unambiguously.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > A NetID is a resolvable identifier that denotes and entity
> > > unambiguously.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > Subject of this email thread is tied to wether WebID should be...:
> >
> >  a) the W3C spec generally for Agent IDs - i.e. exact same as NetID
> >  b) the W3C spec for Agent IDs usable only where Turtle is spoken
> >     (others can call their Agent IDs NetID or BingoCards or whatever)
> >  c) the W3C spec for Agent IDs usable only where JSON(-LD) is spoken
> >     (others can call their Agent IDs NetID or BingoCards or whatever)
> >
> > In other words, do we want WebID simple or easy?
> >
> >  * simple enough to be broadly usable
> >
> > or
> >
> >  * easy usable by constraining scope
> >

> There could be a compromise solution, that keeps most people happy.  And
> that is:
>
> Keep JSON(-LD) as a SHOULD, have no serialisation as a MUST, this gives the
> feel of a NetID type spec.  Allow content negotiation to be supported, for
> those that use it
>
> Have the examples in the text in JSON(-LD), such that a casual developer
> can deploy via copy and paste, can deploy to github.io, a static server,
> jekyll etc.
>
> Have a @context to make the examples look easy and attractive, that works
> with User, Agents, IoT etc.
>
> Have a few selected examples that show how to deploy WebIDs for different
> use cases

How is that a compromise?

My list is

 a) WebID have no serialization as a MUST
 b) WebID MUST somehow involve Turtle serialization
 c) WebID MUST somehow involve JSON(-LD) serialization

You describe a).

Remember a few times in this thread I asked specifically if some
expression had to be read as "MUST" or could be read as "SHOULD"?

I don't mind if WebID SHOULD land on the moon tomorrow and fart darts
every wednesday - as long as it is not a MUST - because SHOULDs are
recommendations I can choose to ignore (my applications have no business
on the moon, and darts are dangerous to kids in my neighbourhood) but
any MUST ignored means I am violating the spec and can no longer
reasably describe my application as using WebIDs - they merely use NetID
or PokerCards or whatever-strings that are not commonly agreed upon in a
W3C-governed specification.

 - Jonas