Re: WebID default serialization for WebID 2.x

Hi Sebastian,

Quoting Sebastian Hellmann (2022-01-22 00:21:49)
> On 21.01.22 17:49, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Sebastian Hellmann (2022-01-21 17:29:46)
> >> I would argue for a more clear definition of what the webID
> >> publisher should/must provide, simply to prevent wiggle space.
> > So would you find it acceptable that the WebID spec states that
> > publishers SHOULD provide [bla bla]?

[...]

> My point is maybe not making JSON-LD default/mandatory, but to make it
> mandatory that JSON-LD [bla bla]

Quoting Sebastian Hellmann (2022-01-22 09:12:08)
> On 22.01.22 01:09, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I understand your desire to simplify, I really do.
> >
> > Ruben Verborgh also wrote about that [...]

[...]

> > [and] Dan Brickley and Libby Miller [...]:
> >> People think RDF is a pain because it is complicated. The truth is
> >> even worse. RDF is painfully simplistic, but it allows you to work
> >> with real-world data and problems that are horribly complicated.
>
> I will try to phrase it in a diplomatic manner:  It kind of became a
> recent trend to talk down Linked Data achievements.

"Talk down"?  Seems we are talking past each other here, and I am truly
sorry if I have somehow offended you or some efforts you hold dear.

The *only* issue I focus on here is if WebID spec should *mandate* or
only *recommend* certain serialization(s).

> 3. DBpedia's CTO Kontokostas, my PhD student,  created SHACL, because
> we wanted to patch a particular gap in RDF. By using more SHACL to
> define RDF a lot can be achieved.

Just to take one example from your long list: Should RDF *mandate* the
use of SHACL?

I don't say that RDF is *easy* but that it is *simple* and that we
should not try simplify - because is is the World which is complex, and
simplifying our tools (while certainly making them easier to use) will
cripple our ability to model the World.

I say let's *encourage* simpler uses of our tools - e.g. by
*recommending* what we consider the more efficient and sensible for
common practice.  But not *mandate*, to leave room for usecases we
cannot foresee.

How is that "talking down" Linked Data or any other efforts?

 - Jonas