Re: WebID default serialization for WebID 2.x

These days, I do not hold a strong opinion about WebID serialization
requirements. All the systems I work on make use of the Turtle requirements
defined in the WebID draft spec, and I do not have any strong need for that
to change.

However, I would say that *if* the WebID draft were to adopt a stance on
JSON-LD I would highly recommend defining a particular context URI as part
of the specification. With a well-designed context URI, JSON-LD
serializations have a lot to offer. See, for instance:

* W3C Verifiable Credentials: https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-data-model/#json-ld
* W3C Web Annotations:
https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#serialization-of-the-model
* W3C Activity Streams 2.0:
https://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-core/#jsonld

In these cases, the structured JSON-LD is exceedingly easy to work with on
both client and server.

Without a well-defined context, however, the vagaries in
compact/expanded/flattened JSON-LD serializations provide a high bar for
data parsing, and you lose a lot of the advantages that JSON-LD has to
offer in the first place. In fact, when given the choice between Turtle (or
other RDF serializations) and JSON-LD without a structured context, I would
always choose Turtle.

-Aaron