Re: where to register a public WebID

Thank you Sebastian for your response.  Responses inline below:

Eric Jahn, alexandriaconsulting.com, WebID
<https://alexandriaconsulting.com/files/eric_jahn.rdf#me>
On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 10:13 AM Sebastian Hellmann <
hellmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> we are currently working on the Linkmaster 3000 (slides
> <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1IoBBXKIYCYg5sAGIszAb6XGxRSjELThcyFdlicC9DLM/edit>,
> https://dbpedia.link/lm3k ). ...

- Register, add the "namespace" of your WebID, add you WebID URL as entity
> of that namespace.

This is precisely what I would like to do, in order to "publish" my WebID
which is otherwise simply declared and hosted on my personal web server.

> - then you can add a masterlink for the entities, masterlink being the one
> link grounding entities on others with more authority. This link is also
> used for inference. Maybe, your webid could masterlink to
> https://dblp.org/pid/51/7565 ? If that is you...

No, that's a different Eric Jahn.  So, all the Eric Jahns could
disambiguate themselves with separate WebIDs, or alternatively merge to
form a single composite Eric Jahn that acts as a single organism, with a
single WebID.  We'll have to vote on which way to go. :)

> 1. It is online, but still in development, we will probably wipe the DB
> several times in the coming month, so edits might be lost until we launch
> it.

Okay, I will wait until LinkMaster3000 is officially launched to contribute
my WebID which will point to my Solid Pod.

> 2. We are aware of the idea, that actually
> https://alexandriaconsulting.com/files/eric_jahn.rdf#me should be
> considered the authority for you and other data should link there.

I sort of had that idea also, but I don't know if it is
sustainable/scalable.  What if my server gets deleted and I lose my private
signing key?  It almost has to be just yet another artifact in my set of
links to further support my identity that can be contested or verified.
Sort of like how W3C DIDs envision the multiple, perhaps competing,
identity artifacts for a person.

> However, we did not find a good way to verify this as there is no WebID
> certification or any other mechanism. Hence, we rely on other authorities
> like libraries and government data and use these as masterlink targets.

That's probably the best way, but also allow me to "claim" and link to a
government ID with my personal WebID.  The government/library WebID
maintainer might one day give me credentials to update my government
profile to point to external WebIDs, such as for my business, personal
Solid profiles linked to my personally generated WebID, etc..

> I guess that this email didn't really solve your question, yet (hopefully
> in a couple of months). The problem of registering and finding entities in
> Linked Data are still challenging. Are there currently any alternatives for
> registering WebID or Linked Data spaces (e.g. solid pods)?

I think LinkMaster3000 is a good start.  From there, government entities
can copy it to create similar identity data stores, and we'll go from
there.  But having something tangible like LinkMaster3000 helps gets the
ideas flowing, and offers an initial structure from which to build.  Thanks
again! -Eric