Re: WebID error handling

> On 21 Jan 2020, at 12:34, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 12:14, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 21 Jan 2020, at 11:45, Martynas Jusevičius <martynas@atomgraph.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does WebID-TLS specify anything related to error handling? I am not
> > able to find anything in the spec.
> > https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html
> >
> > Should a WebID that fails to verify (e.g. URI does not dereference)
> > throw an error or simply be ignored and treated as no authentication?
> > I am leaning towards the latter due to a potentially common failure
> > using localhost WebIDs (below).
>
> I guess that in a way if the X509 Certificate is self-signed then
> the TLS connection succeeded (the private key was verified), but
> the WebID was not.
>
> If you send an error message back using the TLS channel then
> you can’t explain the problem. If you accept the the TLS
> connection you can send an error message back along HTTP
> with an error code, but then you need to find a way to break
> the TLS session too.
>
> > The thing with localhost WebIDs is that they can work on the same
> > host, but it will fail to dereference in any decentralized scenario.
> > Should WebID-TLS make a special mention of this?
>
> Well that is a problem mostly for developers and there is no
> interoperability question there since every developer could
> do things differently without impacting the protocol.
>
> The problem with TLS is that it does not fit well with HTTP2.0.
> There have been proposals to solve the client reconnection problem
> but I am not sure where they have lead to.
>
> Im interested in the issues with HTTP2.0 / TLS
>
> Any pointers?

Martin Thomson of Mozilla has been working on this problem
for the past 6 years or so. I looked around and just
found this:

https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-secondary-certs-05.html

It looks like they are trying to address these issues.
But I have only just glanced at this draft.
By now it should be quite stable.

Henry Story