Re: Justifying decentralization: Epistemology in the Cloud

On 8/25/18 8:25 AM, Story H.J. wrote:
> My paper for Decentralizing the Semantic Web at ISWC 2018 has been
> accepted. Here is the abstract.
>
> Abstract: The web is an open platform that allows anyone to publish
> anything, and so raises anew many epistemological questions: how can
> one distinguish what is true, what is fake or what is fictional on the
> web? Indeed how can one know anything at all? We start from an
> analysis of knowledge that makes space for radical skepticism and
> which allows us to locate the essential problem with the current
> web application architecture. This allows us to propose a set
> of criteria that explicate and justify the decentralised architecture
> of the internet and the web, and the need for that to be extended to
> the data and application layer. The proposed architecture
> is socio-technical, recognising the roles of individuals, institutions
> and nations in our epistemic makeup. We illustrate this by proposing
> an architecture of trust that ties these institutions into browsers in
> a decentralised and open way, allowing them to make the web a
> more trustworthy space. As a side effect we gain the tools to make
> some  serious inroads in helping combat Phishing.
>
> The paper is up here with links to further blog posts that elaborate
> on different aspects of it.
> https://medium.com/@bblfish/epistemology-in-the-cloud-472fad4c8282
>
> One of the articles linked to there "Stopping (https) phishing", makes
> the point that everyone
> has moved to https even the Phishers. So we should too. Here is an
> updated image for the WebID
> spec.

Hi Henry,

The document (identified by https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card)
describes an entity (identified by
https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i). Your "describes" relation
currently has a photo as its object.

Your illustration also indicates (from a general perspective) that
https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i denotes a photo.

I know you understand all of this.

The main challenge here is trying to produce an illustration includes
the "minds eye" mark for the entity identified by the HTTP URI
https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i, bearing in mind powerful
(but generally confusing) denotation->connotation quality of an HTTP URI
courtesy of the "#" indexical .

Here's what you are trying to illustrate (plus some additions by me so
that you can lookup a variant of your illustration) .

## Turtle Start ##

@prefix wdrs: <http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#> .
@prefix schema: <http://schema.org/> .
@prefix foaf:  <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix timbl-card: <https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card> .
@prefix timbl: <https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i> .
@prefix kidehen-preso: <https://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/how-virtuoso-enables-attributed-based-access-controls/8> .
@prefix depiction: <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Tim_Berners-Lee-Knight-crop.> .

timbl: wdrs:describedby timbl-card: , kidehen-preso:  .

timbl: foaf:depiction depiction:jpg .

timbl-card: a foaf:Document, schema:CreativeWork  ;
         foaf:primaryTopic timbl: ;
         schema:mainEntityOfPage timbl: .

kidehen-preso: a foaf:Document, schema:CreativeWork  ;
         foaf:primaryTopic timbl: ;
         schema:mainEntityOfPage timbl: .

## Turtle End ##

BTW -- We have a browser extension called the Structured Data Sniffer
[1] that does assist with the visualization of RDF relations e.g., the
kind of illustration you are pursuing here.

Links:

[1] https://osds.openlinksw.com -- Home Page with links to Chrome,
Firefox, Opera etc., extensions
[2]
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/openlink-structured-data/egdaiaihbdoiibopledjahjaihbmjhdj?hl=en
-- Chrome Extensions
[3]
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/openlink-structured-data-sniff/
[4] https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389561436515442506/ -- Pintrest Pin
demonstrating visualiztion of the RDF-Turtle example above.

OpenLink Software   (Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com)

Weblogs (Blogs):
Legacy Blog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen/
Blogspot Blog: http://kidehen.blogspot.com